We believe in the power of the arts to enrich our community.
The Empire Theatre is one of Australia’s most successful regional theatre venues, hosting over 130,000 visits annually. The creation of The Empire Theatre Projects Company in 2009 was a direct result of that success. The Projects Company was established as the community engagement arm of the Company to further develop the performing arts in the Toowoomba Region.
The Vision which underpins the Company is 'To nurture, enable and inspire the cultural capacity of our community.'
We value VIBRANCY, COLLABORATION, and TRANSFORMATION in our operations, programming and project development. This is reinforced through a strategy of multi-tiered arts engagement across a diverse cross-section of our community.
Through Empire Youth Arts, Community Projects and Education Liaison activities, the Projects Company administers and facilitates a wide variety of programs covering training, artist development, education support, workshop facilitation and unique performance and development opportunities with visiting artists.
In 2018, our program includes/has included:
- Term based drama classes for students aged 8-young adult
- Various holiday activities in drama, circus, film etc
- Home Grown Independents Series
- Harristown EALD student workshops
- Opera Queensland’s Project G&S
- Directing masterclasses
- Junior and Senior IMPACT Ensembles
- Bangarra Dance Theatre workshops and post show meet and greet
- Sydney Writers Festival live streaming event
- Brief Encounters
- Sydney Dance Company workshops and teacher PD
- Queensland Symphony Orchestra Prodigy project
- Yo Diddle Diddle pre-show workshop
- Josephine Wants to Dance Pre-show workshops
- 18 Hour play Project at the Outback Fringe Festival, Quilpie
- Thrive on Arts precinct activation during Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers
Case studies of past projects demonstrate the variety of projects we have facilitated in the past.
The Projects Company is always keen to collaborate with organisations, schools and artists on projects where arts based activities can help with wider social issues or community cultural development. We often apply for grants to conduct community based projects and achieve cross-sector outcomes. Feel free to get in touch to discuss opportunities.
For more information about the Empire Theatres Projects Company, please contact Jeanette Wedmaier at email@example.com.